28 November 2007

The Translator

We frequently check out children's movies from our local library. The selection is quite good, so we have basically had at least one movie from the library a week for the last few months without renting the same one twice! And you get to keep the movies for 5-7 days. Free. So, its pretty awesome to have so many options available so I don't have to listen to Meet The Robinsons or Jungle Book twice a day, every day until I die.

So, I had to return some videos and pick up some reserves from other library's today. The girls looked through the movies, as always and A. picked out La Bella Durmiente. Sleeping Beauty. In Spanish.

There are no subtitles.

But this doesn't seem to bother A. one bit. When the movie started I even started translating what I could catch (3 years of high school Spanish but 11 years since I've actually had to use any of it). Which was quite a bit, to my surprise. Anyways, so I'm translating (Once upon a time in a land far away there was a king and queen- standard for any sort of fairy tale involving a princess) and after a minute she tells me, "stop telling me what they're saying, mama, so I can hear it."

Uh. Ok? So far she doesn't seem to care that she doesn't understand one bit of what's being said. She sees a princess, some fairy godmothers and a wicked step-mother. I guess she figures she can gist the rest from context? Oh well. They're quiet. They're not tearing up my living room. They're happy. Whatever.

I really love the latino take on Sleeping Beauty. At some point the prince was riding around this giant (is there a giant in the English version of sleeping beauty? No, wait. There are dwarves. Right?)- so anyways, Prince, giant, pokes the giant in the nose with his sword after being captured by him and held up for inspection. Weird.

Ok, so hey, check this out.

I'm all for bizarre and unconventional humor. It's how dh and I show our affection for each other. But I have NO idea how I feel about this. Maybe you all can tell me?



We're Scrooged!

No comments: