21 November 2007

Rock On!

Okay. So I'm not a Guitar Hero kinda gal. I'm not even a real guitar kind of gal, I think. Which is a shame, because a few years ago (about 5) I decided I needed to learn how to play the guitar. So I sprang for a beautiful Ibanez which only cost me about $300. I tried to teach myself from a book for awhile (three months), and even had a friend come over to teach me once in awhile. I wonder what my noise must have sounded like to dh, because, gawd! I'm sure I was pretty awful! I love the idea of being musically talented with an instrument (5th grade clarinet doesn't count because I really wanted a saxophone, and I only played in the band for that year. The clarinet simply wasn't as cool as a sax, you know?). I mean, my sister plays the piano and the flute, my mom allegedly played the guitar in her younger days, and I played… the clarinet. Hmph. But I can kinda sing, so I guess it all evens out, yeah? That's what I tell myself, anyways. Regardless, that doesn't excuse the fact that I own this beautiful guitar that has stayed in its case for the last few years. It got lugged around, packed up and hauled out through 3 moves last year. In it's case. I haven't once taken it out since we lived in MD, which was two years ago! And that's at least. Occassionally I've thought- I should just let go and sell it! I should at least get half of what I paid, considering the impeccable condition it's in. Do you know how much peppermint white chocolate mocha latte's that would get me! And yarn! Lots and lots of wonderful yarn. And books! Ah, my books. Coffee, yarn and books- this is what I'm passing up because I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Dh wants to keep it and maybe when the girls get older they may take an interest and then actually use the damn thing!

Which brings me back to Guitar Hero. Just not my thing. I've tried. Seriously. But I'm clumsy and my fingers just don't move that fast! Plus, I have small fingers. That sort of makes things a little difficult at times.

But Rock Band. Is. AWESOME! Because as I said in my previous post, it's not just about the guitar. You can play with the drums that come with it instead. Or you can be a lead singer and just do karaoke. Or, you could have one person on the guitar and another singing and another on the drums. You could form your own ROCK BAND! Get it! And go through all the challenges together and open cool venues and items and songs. AND the songs for Rock Band are simply just awesome! The developers got a really great playlist together!

After dh came home, and set up Rock Band (the girls did wake up, by the way. But while he was setting up, not after he started playing). A. grabbed the mike and muttered- er- sang along with his songs. What she could anyways, not knowing the songs and being unable to read and all. Eventually I decided I needed a shot at being a lead singer. So I took the mike, dh set up the game so that we could form a band, with him on the guitar. Our band name is Porksword, by the way. His band name is Frag and I'm Marmelade, but with a silent 'e'. So it's pronounced more like "Marmelahd"- all Frenchy and shit. Don't ask where it came from- it was just there. Thus, we became a band and started going down the beginning sets. Among them were:

Weezer- Say it ain't so

Garbage- I think I'm paranoid

OK Go- Here it goes again (which I flubbed quite nicely, although that was the mp3 ring tone for my phone for like- ever!)

Radio- head Creep

And several more really good songs that brought my memories of the 90's just flooding back.

My favorite set was "I think I'm paranoid". I love that song. I love Garbage. And most of the aforementioned songs (with the exception of Creep) are REALLY FUN TO SING!

I love this game!

The cool thing, for the lead singers, is that the "bars" scroll across the screen with the words, so you know if you need to be singing in a high pitch, low pitch, falsetto, whatever. It get's pretty specific. And you get to see when you flub, so you know what to try to improve later. Anyways, your success as a lead singer depends almost completely on your ability to match the pitch as closely as possible, with the "easy" mode giving the most flexibility in getting the right pitch. if you were too high or too low.

Rock Band is the perfect party game, I think. Even a great mom's night out activity for women who like to karaoke but not sit in a smoky bar to have a good time (are there still smoky bars in Tucson?). There's something for everyone. And if everyone just wants to karaoke, well then that's okay, too. And hey, I was a great lead singer! Mostly.

Soooo much fun!

For the girls, too! A. ran into her room and returned with her pink electric guitar (which I made her turn off while we played the game. So she still got to jam. Just really really quietly), and then S. appeared with this little toy drum she has. Which I also made her turn off. Later, S. grabbed A.'s guitar and pretended to be rocking out with us on her (still quiet) electric guitar.

Now, I have to say that I don't really foresee myself playing this much without dh- if at all. I have other obsessions- uh- interests that need to be tended to. I simply do not have any more room in my schedule for yet another one! And, like most things, I just have more fun doing it along with him, rather than by myself.

But still- if your very own game-addicted dh or spawn gets Rock Band, pick up the mike and take a swing at being a lead singer sometime. Or get the drumsticks and pound away. Or rock out on the guitar. You'll have a good time, even if you suck. I promise!

No comments: