09 November 2007

Hooray For Good Days

Today was a good day. I was tired as shit, but I still had a good day. I like good days. It's noteworthy only because I don't have them very often lately. And I was actually productive! This morning, after my shower, I attacked the 3 baskets of clean clothes loafing around my bedroom. Twenty minutes and lots of plastic white hangers later, clothes were put away, man! Frikkin awesome. Then, this afternoon, I did dishes. This is remarkable for two reasons:


1- I hate dishes
2- they're dh's job. Because I hate doing dishes.


But I when I saw the dirty dishes were starting to take over the kitchen counters, I decided to just do them. And cleaned the sink when I finished. Dh rewarded my by letting me off the hook for dinner- pizza! Granted, he had no idea that I had done any of this, so it was more of a surprise than an anticipated event. But nonetheless, he had pizza and the dishes were done.

Moving on-

After dishes, I sat down to write and I noticed that the desk was buried in papers. Useless, unnecessary papers. Papers begging to be organized, recycled, or shred. So I got up and started sorting through papers. As I was sorting, I noticed the shredder was full.

Ah ha! There was a paper bag handy! So I emptied the shredder. Half into the bag and half onto the floor, but it was done. I could vacuum later.

On the way to the garage to dispose of the shredded paper that actually made it into the bag, it comes to my attention that my book shelf is a mess! I dump the paper in the recycling bin in the garage and come back. A quick glance told me that not only was my book shelf a mess, it was an unorganized mess. Lone knitting books randomly placed between language dictionaries, scrapbooking magazines mingling with the Middle East history books... I step back, visualize my goal, and start taking books off of the shelves. I was actually surprised to find books piled behind books on the same shelf. Holy shit that's a lot of books! I even sold some last month, and lent some to a friend last week. I took the books off the shelves and began organizing them into categorized piles on the floor. This is what I came up with. On the floor.


And this is what remained on the book shelf:

This may not seem like a phenomenal amount of books to many, but considering that I sold over $200 worth of books before we left Texas, a few more last month and last week I gave at least 4 to a friend to borrow, it seems like a lot to me.

Dh had since come home and sat amongst the piles of books (yes, I own 98% of these books) as I organized. He had some advice :

Dh: "Maybe the Jerusalem books should be with the rest of the poli sci books."
Me: "So, should I put my History of Afghanistan book with them too?"
Dh: "Baby, we're not organizing by the dewey decimal system."

Right. In with Poli Sci they go.

Several repeats of Alicia Keyes's new song, "No One", later, the book shelf was DONE! Just look at how nice and tidy that looks!






There are still books behind books, but they're at least organized in a more *ahem* logical manner.

Also, when I finished that, I vacuumed the office floor. Now the shreds of paper strewn hither and yonder are but mere memories.


In addition, I moved the box of pictures that was sitting in front of the window, into the closet. I also stashed knitting supplies and still-to-be-hung picture frames into the closet, and tossed the extra printer into the garage until we figure out what to do with it.

I now have a clean, mostly organized office. And it feels good.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

You did a great job, it looks nice! I guess we both had kind of a cleaning day today, as that's about what I was doing also!

graceunderautism said...

and so you can WRITE tomorrow? cause with all that cleaning there seemed to be no mention of actual writing accomplished. ;)

Anonymous said...

NaBloMo - I missed a day! :) I forgot to cut and paste my blogger message to it...oh well, maybe next year.

Rachel said...

My DH made me move 4 of my bookshelves out into the garage and I 'get' to keep the one by my desk. LOL!
I'm with you! I'm such a bibliophile!! LOL!

The Supreme High Ruler of the W. Household said...

4 bookshelves!! Wow! Dh laughed at me when I told him I wanted a second one... but I'm getting him Rock Band for the Xbox 360 so maybe some day...