30 November 2007

Crossing the finish line!!

Yay! My last and final (isn't that a little redundant?) post of the month. And I DID IT. For Nablo, anyways. You already know how NaNoWriMo went for me, so let's not rehash that, shall we? I'm still grieving for the brilliant wordsmithing that never was.

So what type of tale shall I regale you with on this final nablo eve?

How about how A. told me the other day that "the white walls are disturbing me"?

Yep, she sure did! Here's the backstory. We painted our living room Turkey day weekend. A. and S. got little paint rollers and dh let them fire away while he cut into the trimming. At some point in time (it's all a little fuzzy cuz I was in our room sleeping contemplating frame placement) S. got her license to paint revoked. But that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that the living room is now not white (it's a really nice yellow-orangish color, if you care). And A. is totally impressed, not only that she got to help transform our drab living room into something cozier and visually interesting, but that it happened at all. We have plans to paint the kitchen red next. Cherry bomb red (sample grabbed from Dunn Edwards but cleverly brought into Lowe's for them to mix. Is that cheating?). A. has been chomping at the bit to get the kitchen painted. And after that, her and her sister's room. And after that- our room (but that won't happen until we replace the comforter set we have right now. Turns out I'm a lot less fond of it on my bed than I was when I grabbed it off the shelf at Sears. In April). Ok. So. A. comes up to me the other day, she's frowning. Not a happy camper.

"Mama," she says seriously.

"hmmmmm?"

"the white walls are disturbing me"

I stared at her. What do you say to that? How do you respond to a 4-year old who is making it sound like the very presence of the white walls in our home is making her crazy?!

By saying, "oh, hush. The walls aren't disturbing you."

Flash forward to today. There were plans of painting the kitchen this weekend. But due to dh recovering from a 7 hour drive as he is returning home from a 3-day tdy yesterday around 4 pm, and due to the fact that he had homework to do, painting was not on his list of things to do today. Which didn't bother me one bit. Paint it red today, paint it red tomorrow- eh. We have the paint and the supplies so I know it will get done. I have blogs to read and projects to knit other fish to fry so I'm not too worried about when it will get done. It will get done eventually. But this is not okay for A. So she's been badgering dh to start taping up the kitchen since she got up from her nap (yeah, they nap for him. Without fail. Not that I'm bitter. Or anything).

"I realized I don't have so much of a honey-do-list" he remarked this evening, "as a daddy-do-list. How did this happen?"

"Don't let her bully you into taping up tonight if you just want to rest. She's 4." I reminded him. As he is so often reminding me.

And so A. didn't get her groove on with the painting, and dh got a nice quiet evening while they watched Polar Express and forgot all about painting the kitchen red (At this point I always think about Alice in Wonderland: "we're painting the roses red, we're painting the roses red"… except substitute roses with kitchen. Get it!). Until it ended. But by then it was almost bed time.

Whew, he got off easy!

No doubt that will top her agenda tomorrow. After we return from dh's squadron children's Christmas party (Santa will be making his grand entrance on a helicopter! Oh, yeah!), of course. This kid- once she's decided on something, she can't be diverted. Try redirecting a kid like that! It just doesn't work. I'm not sure where she gets that from. *ahem. Me?*.

Oh, and my blackberry is possessed. I downloaded a trial photo viewing program, which is great. But it's taken over as my home screen. Which is not great. It doesn't have the functionality of the home screen that was there before Berry Pix took over. It's just a great big white advertisement for Berry Pix for wallpaper. That's all it is. Must have phone exorcised (without removing the software, of course. Cuz other than the violent take-over, I kinda like it). Oh yeah. I promised I'd let you guys know how it's going, didn't I? Well, maybe someday I'll be bothered to sit down and write about the technical crap that I like/don't like about my curve. Just know that for now, it is the most beautiful thing I've ever owned. Aside from my D70, of course. And it doesn't hurt that this beauty only cost me $30 (and a 2 year contract, but what the hell. Better than paying $199.99 after mail-in-rebate and a 2 year contract). I noticed that Dance Dance Revolution is one of the games I can buy to play on the curve. Which has me scratching my head. I mean, isn't the whole point of DDR to, uh, get you off your ass and dance? What benefit does one get from hitting tiny little keys on the keyboard to get the dance combinations right? You get a super bulked-up thumb? Gee, that's useful. Glad I'll be able to do away with the extra thumb flab I've been trying to get rid of since I had S..

So, there you have it, folks.

My last and final entry of November, and therefore, of NaBloPoMo.

A collective "HIP HIP HOORAY" to all my fellow bloggers who also crossed the finish line this evening.

And to my fellow NaNoWriMo-ers who actually hit or even surpassed 50,000 words in 30 days (yes, it does happen)-

YOU ROCK!

Maybe next year I'll join you in receiving the coveted purple bar (wasn't it green last year?).

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Cherry bomb red eh?? Can't wait to see that! Glad we finished Nov!!! On to more shopping!

Rachel said...

LOL! Your 4 year old sounds just like my 4 year old. Determined, smart and waaay too aware for our own good.
Congrats on surviving NaBloCraZyMonth!
Maybe I'll do it next year :-)

Anonymous said...

If you are still having the Berry Pix white screen appearing, you can disable the Berry Pix screen saver by going into Berry Pix, selecting Settings from the menu and then under screen saver settings, set the screen saver timeout to be "Never".

If you want to remove it, use the following method:

On your BlackBerry, from the home screen:
1) Navigate to Options app
2) Choose Advanced Options
3) Choose Applications
4) Scroll list to Berry Pix
5) Select and choose Delete
6) Answer yes to restart prompt

There is also a Berry Pix FAQ on the colabnet.com website.

HTH