31 December 2007

Not That I'm Delusional or Anything

Several years ago, dh and I made a deal.

Well, it was less of a deal and more of an, "uh-huh. That'll happen." thing from dh, but regardless of whether or not he was being sarcastic (which he undoubtedly was), he said it. So, I get to hold him to it!

The deal was that, at our 10 year anniversary I could upgrade my ring. I don't want any other anniversary gift other than upgrading my ring.

There's nothing wrong with the rings I have now. I like them. But, you know, guys get to upgrade computers and game consoles- sometimes even cars, why can't I upgrade my ring? Just my engagement ring. And really, just the diamond. I wanted a diamond that was a tad bit bigger, and even better quality.

It all sounds terribly superficial, I know. I'll give you that. But I'm the daughter of a jeweler, who is always buying jewelry. And that's what happens.

Although I'm not that into jewelry. As in, jewelry stores are not my favorite places to shop. Usually I prefer to spend $300 extra dollars on a new ipod, or a new lens for my camera. Cuz I'm a geek like that. But every once in awhile I'll see something I absolutely love!


In the last several years I have specifically wanted 2 things jewelry related- a dragonfly pendant and a tanzanite right hand ring. I got the ring, and I'm still thinking about the pendant.

Anyways, diamond upgrade, 10 years.

So last night we were actually talking about my upgrade, and how ridiculous it was for me to want to spend extra money to get a better diamond (he says, not me, obviously). I agreed (a little... but just a little) and put the matter in the back of my mind for the next few years, when I get to take it out, dust if off and bring it up all over again.

However, I came across this jewelry website by reading a blog post by Kristi at A Beautiful Mess. She was going down a list of her wants, and she had a link to a ring she really liked. So, seeing that is was a link for diamond rings, I naturally followed. And that's when I saw this:

Yes, those are butterflies flanking the center stone.

Isn't it wonderful?!

It's incredibly gorgeous! I love every single thing about it. I love it's originality, it's detail, and I love that even with all those diamonds it doesn't look gaudy.

And the kicker- dh actually things it's quite beautiful as well (our taste in all things aesthetic differ quite a bit).

Not that I'll be getting it any time soon. Especially since this ring costs a whopping $3,900 (and that's the wholesale price). I'm not delusional or anything. Entirely.

But I'm printing copies of the images to put on my bulletin board, in my wallet, and under my pillow (you know how the tooth fairy comes and takes teeth from under the pillow and leaves $$$$ ? Maybe if I leave my rings under the pillow at night, the ring fairy will see the images of this one up here, and then trade my ring for it. And it will magically be exactly the right size! Maybe it will even come with a custom made wedding band to accompany it?).

It may be a long time before I get it. If I ever do get it.

But a girl can dream, right?

Right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do have to say, that IS a BEAUTIFUL ring. Now I want it!
Dreaming is good...

Rachel said...

We have that very same deal :-) Instigated by my DH though.
That ring, wow!!
We have 3 1/2 years before our 10 year... guess he should start saving now.
That ring is amazing!!!
good luck!