20 October 2007

The Garage Sale Bandit

Someone stole my daughter’s book bag today. DH took the girls over to our friends’s house to help them set up for their garage sale. When he got there, there were already close to a dozen people there, and the garage sale wasn’t supposed to start for another half hour (that’s at least how it was told to me). So things got pretty hectic very quickly and he set the book bag down by the garage, but not with the things being sold. When he was getting ready to leave a few hours later, the bag was gone. It was my favorite bag, too. It was cute and colorful without being obnoxious- hot pink with lime green and white accents. And it had different compartments on the inside, which was cool. I could keep A.’s extra clothes in one, S.’s clothes in another and diapers and wipes in yet another. And now it’s gone. There were even clothes in there! Not that I’m ever disappointed to have an excuse to shop, but now is just not a good time.

What really irks me is that it’s not like my friend accidentally sold our book bag full of diapers and clothes. But that these people stole the bag. Who steals shit from a garage sale, anyways? Really, what kind of person does that? It’s not likely that the person who did it will stumble upon this entry, much less this blog but if they do, I would like to take a moment and say, “I hope the devil will greet you with open arms for even thinking about stealing from someone, much less at a garage sale!” That may go over really well, especially if they’re Catholic. And I’m not going to say why I think that they are, but I’m pretty sure that they are.

Anyways, I keep racking my brain, hoping that I didn’t have anything important in there, since we just used the bag last weekend and have a terrible habit of not unpacking when we get home. So far I’ve come up with nothing. Let’s hope that it’s not just a faulty memory- although it very well may be.

(Enter smooth segue here)

This afternoon I took the girls to B&N for a little R&R. I enjoyed a toasted marshmallow mocha (good, but not great), and let them browse around and play in the childrens section. While I was there, I found these really cute books I saw at another B&N for the first time last weekend.

It’s a children’s series called Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist written by a man named Jim Benton. They are sooo cute! It’s about a school age girl who is a mad scientist. Much like Jimmy Neutron, but with a broody, and morbidly creative little girl. Actually it's more like Jimmy Neutron and Wednesday Adams all rolled into one. It’s great! It’s written for 3-6th grade readers, and is a chapter book. But it still has pictures, which are also very cute. So, I let A. pick out a few (they were about $4 each. Who knew books even sold for less than $7 anymore?!) and bought them. I want to start reading to her more often, and so I figure there’s no better place to start than reading a book that even I am interested in! I read 5 chapters to them when we got home (about 30 pages) and so far we all really like it. They love the pictures, too. So if anyone out there is looking for a good children’s read, I would recommend this series. As I said, they’re chapter books so they’re great for the crowd it was intended for and you'll find them in that section of the book store. But each page only has a few sentences on it and then pictures, which makes it adaptable for the preschool set. And they’re much more interesting than the Hungry Caterpillar or Paddington Bear. At least to me, they are. And if I have to read aloud, I may as well enjoy myself is how I see it.



Thanks for tuning in .
You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: