22 January 2008

Rescuing The Princess

In more ways than one.

I thought about A.'s lost toy phone all night. Part of me felt that I should just go back and get the phone (if it was even still there) and just give it to her, and part of me felt I needed to teach her a lesson and make her earn money to get a new one.

The first part of me won.

I called the Children's Museum when they opened up today and asked if anyone had turned in a toy princess cell phone. Yes, the person said, we do have a princess phone. But she sounded reluctant to tell me it was there. "We were having a lot of fun with it last night," she said. "We were taking pictures of each other." (apparently, this phone has a functional camera- sort of. Who knew?)

"That's great." I said. "We'll be by to pick it up today."

"We'll take good care of it for you."

I didn't tell A. that we were going to get her phone back until we were half-way to the Children's museum.

She was so happy to see that phone, and the guy behind the admissions counter was happy to have made her smile. That was very sweet, I thought.

So, what did I end up doing with the phone?

I gave it to her with no strings attached.

I figure it this way- if I had lost something that I purchased, and thought I knew where I had left it, I would go back and get it before I replaced it. Since this is something that A. purchased with her very own hard earned money, she deserves the same courtesy I would give myself or dh had it been us who had lost something. Particularly something we cherished.

And so, the Princess was rescued phsyically (the toy phone) and emotionally (A.) by the Mom-In-The-Silver-Mazda and everyone lived happily ever after.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

awe ~ nice mommy :-)
It takes real pictures. That is one cool phone!!