14 February 2008

The Birthday Letter and Music hell

A. turned 5 today. Yes, 5. In six months she will be boarding a big yellow school bus and officially become a kindergartener! Wild.

Because I've been feeling super crafty and sentimental lately, I sat down last night and wrote her a letter about some of the things she learned to do in the last year. Realizing that 3 pages might be a bit much for such a young child to sit through, I told her she could stop me anytime she wanted and I would put the letter away.

I got through the introductory sentence.

Over 12 hours of labor 5 years ago, 2 hours of writing last night and 3 pages of effort and I get stopped at the introduction!

I know, I know. She's young and the letter won't really mean anything to her until she gets much older but I would have liked her to know what I wrote, anyhow. I think I must have had a vision of angelic smiles and huge, heartfelt hugs after reading her the letter. I was seriously delusional.

So, A. says "stop", and I fold up the letter, put it in the envelope and toss it onto the (growing) pile of books on my night table. And even though I anticipated a little bit of a lack of interest, I was still a little upset by the haste in which she wanted me to stop. And the speed in which she hopped off the bed and out of my room...

Oh, well.

Moving right along-

Have you ever gotten a song stuck in your head? I have just a touch of an obsessive personality, so songs get stuck all the time. They're not even always good songs either. Or grown up songs. Which is why this is particularly annoying, I think.

I've got a kids song stuck in my brain! It's like an illness, really.

Today I am being victimized by this cd of silly songs for kids (Wee Sing Silly Songs) I got for the girls. I was playing it for them this afternoon and somewhere around 20-something tracks in, a song came on called "The Green Grass Grows All Around". It's one of those songs where you build onto the verse and then put them all together before moving on.

It started somewhere around 3 pm. And it hasn't stopped. In. My. Head.

It played in my head as we got ready to go to dinner at 4:30, as I ate dinner about 6, on the drive to Coldstone Creamery at about 7, and then again as I navigated my way around Target buying pillows and carpet shampoo (approximately 8 pm).

And because misery loves company, I'll give you a glimpse of what the hell is break dancing around my brain. Since I love you all, though, I'll just cut right to the end (which is really the bulk of what's looping around my head, anyways):

"On that bug, there was a germ, the prettiest germ that you ever did see;

the germ on the bug and the bug on the feather

and the feather in the wing and the wing

on the bird and the bird in the egg

and the egg in the nest and the nest

on the branch and the branch on the limb

and the limb on the tree and the tree

in the hole and the hole in the ground

and the green grass grew all around, all around,

and the green grass grew all around."

There. If you made it this far you have officially entered my hell.

Welcome! I'll be bringing drinks around shortly.

What I'd like to know, though, is how the hell a bug gets into an egg?

No comments: